Designing a new website can seem pretty daunting when you start to consider everything that’s required. Whether it is great content, a slick user experience or stunning imagery, it all needs to be considered to get the most out of your site.
We’ve compiled a list of the most important aspects to start off with to spark the imagination!
Where do you start when it comes to web design?
- Simple navigation. Keep it clear for the user how they can navigate through the site and have your key pages prominent.
- Colour palette. You need a clear colour palette used throughout all of your branded marketing materials. Don’t over do it, pick a small selection of colours with one or two bold colours for call to actions.
- Impact with imagery. Always a winner. Eye catching imagery will attract the attention of the user quickly. Smartphones can take great photos nowadays to show off your products and services.
- Clear conversions. Make sure the user has a clear journey through the site and optimise this depending on the type of goal you need. For example, lead generation sites would want clear routes to contact details and forms.
- Sell your company. Users will research who you are pretty thoroughly before parting with their money or contact information. Make sure to have bold USPs and company information so the user doesn’t have to search too far to find the reasons to do business with you.
- Great on mobile. You don’t really have a choice nowadays to have anything but a mobile-friendly website. The majority of users online are now viewing websites through a mobile device. Google loves it too and will rank you higher. It is a must for all websites to have fluid design and functionality on mobile.
- Speedy page loads. A large part of a good user experience is how quickly they can move through the site. Don’t test the user’s patience as you will definitely lose out. Ensure your pages are optimised, have small image file sizes and fit for purpose web hosting.
Whether you’re designing the site yourself or working with an agency, it is important to have your specification considered and carefully planned out before starting the bulk of the process. The more prepared you are and the more research you do, the more likely you will get a website to meet and exceed your requirements!
If you want some help with your web design, give us a shout, we are more than happy to help! We have a fab team who can help with all your web design needs and love a challenge.